Monday, October 15, 2012

Recipe Review

A new addition to this blog is going to be reviewing some of the recipes out there for babies and toddlers. To start, I'm going to review a few recipes from a website that I visit fairly often - weelicious.com - for which I have both positive and negative reviews. I'm going to include my review, as well as what my kids thought. To kick off these reviews...

From Weelicious.com, Broccoli, Potato, and Cheese Puree:

Ingredients

  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese (i used white cheddar cheese)

Preparation

  1. Place the potato cubes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 6 minutes.
  2. Add the broccoli and steam for an additional 4 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
  3. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree. 
  4. Serve.

My Review: The picture that accompanied this recipe looked delicious, a puree of normal texture that had a light green tint to it. It's actually much thicker than a regular puree is, it is really just like thick mashed potatoes. You can taste the broccoli in it, but it's not an overpowering flavor. You cannot taste the cheese at all, so you could skip that completely. Next time I make it I am going to add in 1 c. cauliflower and see if changing the ratio of potato to veggie helps thin it out a bit, as well as add some more nutrition to it. I ate some with my leftovers for lunch and added some more cheese on top for a bit more flavor.

Kids Review: 2 year old did not like it. 7 month old ate it fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment