Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthy Mac N Cheese

So, like most children, Evangeline LOVES macaroni and cheese. So, to make it a bit healthier I sneak veggies in there... three different ones to be exact. Pureed cauliflower has no taste when combined with anything that has cheese in it and pureed squash has such a mild flavor that it isn't really noticeable. I've made macaroni and cheese with cauliflower and squash in it and served it to Ryan and he didn't have a clue :o) I told him after the fact. I usually add some pureed carrots in too, Evangeline notices if I didn't puree it very well and there are larger chunks... but she just puts those to the side of her plate and isn't bothered by it.

Cauliflower has many health benefits but what I like is its digestive properties - being high in fiber is good for our little girl. The different kinds of squash have various health benefits and are all high in vitamins, but I like that they are low in calories - tons of health boosts for few calories. Winter squash are good for blood sugar regulation (and so diabetes prevention) and summer or yellow squash are known for heart, colon, prostate, and bone benefits. I think we all grew up thinking that carrots are good for your vision, but in reality there hasn't been much study into that - what they are known for are their high antioxidant nutrients and cancer prevention.

I make all of these veggies (and others) and then freeze them in these trays. I pop them out and store them in a zip lock baggie, ready in a serving size whenever I need them. Typically a 6-9 month old should have 3-6 oz. of fruits and veggies a day (and 6-8oz. for a 9-12 month old). Each of the "squares" from the tray are 1 oz. So 3 oz. of veggies are mixed into her mac n cheese. She doesn't usually eat ALL of the mac n cheese in one sitting, but it surely helps get those veggies into her - since she's not really a fan of any yet. Thankfully, she'll take fruit over pretty much anything these days (and we always mix one of these cubes into her applesauce).


No comments:

Post a Comment